Wednesday 9 March 2016

100th Post!

hi all

Yes I've reached my 100th post! whoop whoop!

no, i'm not in the picture...
Normally my enthusiasm for long term projects would have seriously waned by now, hence the long gap from my old Warhammer part of the blog and the new multiple gaming system,all purpose part of the blog.  But I've really enjoyed putting my thoughts, projects and game reports out there and the interaction it has generated between like minded bloggers.  Without getting too watery and teary, if it wasn't for the regular commenters of my various posts then there wouldn't be incentive to carry on posting and producing some of the work I have to this point.  Those comments combined with the other blogs that i read have helped shape the projects I have worked and am now currently working on, so thank you. I guess the thank you list is essentially my followers list (small as it is lol)

Special thanks however must go to Bryan aka "Vampifan" whose suggestions on miniatures,websites, links and his generosity in sending through material that have directly benefited my gaming cannot be underestimated. Cheers dude!

i'm getting all gushy now so i think i'll go sit quietly in the corner of da Grotto and think about the next hundred posts i want to write, i already have a few things in mind......

Oh and before I forget I believe it's traditional to give away a small token when one reaches milestones so I guess I'd better do something in a similar vein.  Comment below on what your favourite post over the last 100 was (oh the vanity!!) I will randomly select a winner and send him/her a couple of miniatures from my collection for you to do what you will (ebay, collect dust in a corner, strip and reuse, game with.....)

To that end I have recently been rummaging through my game boxes and rediscovered this little beauty

lots of solo gaming goodness to come!!
Games Workshop, before they sold their collective souls to big business - ie 1987, produced this excellent solo board game.  It was one of the first solo games I played back in the day (I think I started gaming sometime in 1984)

The player takes on the role of the Chainsaw Warrior and has sixty minutes to navigate a labyrinth composed of an abandoned urban slum in New York, represented by two decks of cards, locate the entity Darkness attempting to destroy the city and kill it. The slum contains hazards, zombies, mutants and other creatures affected by Darkness, who will attempt to kill the player or slow him down. Failure to kill Darkness, either by running out of time, dying of injuries, or succumbing to zombie venom/radiation poisoning, resulted in a loss for the player.
The player has several attributes randomised by die roll at the start of the game, which affect hand to hand combat, marksmanship, ability to take damage and reaction time. There are also separate tracks to record the effects of zombie venom and radiation damage.
At the start of the game, the player is equipped with a random assortment of weapons and items (which can include the eponymous chainsaw) and a critical item called the Laser Lance, which is the only weapon capable of destroying Darkness. Loss of the Laser Lance or running out of ammunition for it resulted in the player being forced to leave the slums for a replacement, then re-enter after a time penalty.
Before we get too excited, no I'm not giving away Chainsaw Warrior the game.  I truly love the game so much, although I don't play it as often as I should (we all know that feeling!) However I will give away two of the three (i can't find the other!) miniature versions of the Chainsaw Warrior.  they aren't used in the game but they are a truly lovely set of miniatures.  I have stripped my 1990's paint jobs and redone them for this give away (but as stated above feel free to re-strip or whatever!)

the original sculpts of the chainsaw warrior set minus the rocket launcher dude!

these cost £1.95 for the set of three, those were the halcyon days!



a bit out of focus.....
for the lucky (imho) winner, if you don't have Chainsaw Warrior there is an amazing blog "War Factory" and the guy on there is producing an interesting game adapting Chainsaw Warrior and Space Hulk.  In fact it looked so much fun that I very nearly kept the models, plus they're are very nearly the oldest, surviving models I have bar my War Wyvern.  I hope whoever wins them can find a good use for them.

anyhoo here's to another 100!

enjoy
dGG


28 comments:

  1. Many, many congratulations on reaching this blogging milestone, Andy, and a big thank you for the kind words. I know that without the continued support and enthusiasm of my own followers my blog would never have lasted as long. They are the number one reason I keep on blogging.

    Choosing just one post of yours as my favourite is not easy, but in the end I must choose your batrep of "The Mystery of the Zombie Virus." Yes, I know it's a slight cheat as it was in multiple parts but it has to be considered as a cohesive whole. For me, it was the combination of a battle-hardened Scooby gang fighting in your superb scratch-built hospital that made it so memorable.

    Finally, please do NOT enter my name into your prize draw, as I already own both of the figures you're offering. Chainsaw Warrior holds a special place in my heart as one of the best games GW ever produced and I collected all of the figures for it. Let them go to someone who really wants them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Bryan, thanks again mate for everything you've done for this blogger, particularly my last little gift, I've got an idea for some of them and it's particularly relevant to yours (and mine) recent posts.....
      Cheers big man :-)

      Delete
  2. Many congratulations on reaching such a milestone, here's to many more.

    ReplyDelete
  3. 100 posts? Well done and long may it continue; I always look forward to your articles.

    Like Vampifan, I don't really need/want the figures, but good luck with the competition anyway!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Hugh, I always look forward to your posts too :-)

      Delete
  4. oooo a prize draw. Congrats on your 100th post. As far as my favourite post goes.... well its definitely going to have to be an ATZ post and its between "The Mystery Zombie Virus" and your Walking Dead figures.... and the winner is....... "The Mystery Zombie Virus" for all the same reasons as Vampifan above.

    On another note your absolutely right about people commenting on your posts to keep you going. It adds another dimension to our gaming being able to hear others thoughts and enthusiasm is great.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. For sure bud, bouncing comments/ideas about helps the creative juices flow ;-P

      Delete
  5. Congratulations on your 100th! As a fellow blogger its a rewarding milestone and no mean achievement, given the number of blogs that falter way before reaching a centenary.

    As for my favourite, it's probably 'ATZ day one' from back in September last year. I really like the 'story' over traditional bat-rep; its a style that resonates with me.

    Best wishes for the next one hundred!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Tim, I'm glad you enjoyed the story batreps. I really enjoyed writing them although it is obviously more time consuming, writing stories is a passion of mine I rarely get to indulge. Recently I've moved to a combination of story and run down of turns, based on this comment I'm encouraged to "beef" up the storytelling side.... :-)

      Delete
  6. Many many congratulations Andy on your 100th posting. I'm currently still working my way through the backlog (having only found your blog late last year) but I would definitely have to say your Zombtober week 4 posting featuring your version of 'The Justice League of America' is the one which I've enjoyed the most. Yes its simple compared to the lengthy BatReps I also enjoy. But for some reason it sticks in the mind and at the time I couldn't help but think of all the cool zombie-hero conversions I could do!!!

    I too have the "Chainsaw Warrior" game but not the minis, so owning them would be very cool. Good to see that game still getting lots of love. Certainly its one of "GW" best :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Simon, between yourself and Bryan you've both commented consistently and with much encouragement, so thanks for that!

      Lol I love the subtle and not so subtle superhero symbols scattered throughout my collection now.....

      Delete
  7. Replies
    1. Thanks Fran, I love the humour you put into your blog! Long may it continue :-)

      Delete
  8. Congratulations on the century Andy! Here's to many more.
    All your zombie related posts are obviously the ones I'm going to favour. A real standout for me are your TWD characters converted from the WGF survivors, frugal gaming at it's best.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Duuuude!! Thanks Bob. There will be many more, I've got the bit between my teeth now old son :-)

      Looking forward to seeing your batreps soon I hope

      Delete
  9. Getting 100 posts under your belt is no mean feat; when starting blogging I doubt many of us would think we'd get to posting a hundred times.
    Congratulations dGG.
    My favourite posts have been the construction of your hospital using whatever you had.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Joe, I really enjoyed the building process and have a few more projects in mind

      Delete
  10. Wow, 100 goes by quick! Congrats on the milestone, hopefully you'll get many more posts after this.

    Chainsaw Warrior was a personal favorite of mine as well. I should see where I left my copy... :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Love it, when I played it recently it hadn't aged a bit! And I still didn't beat darkness, that dude was tough man

      Delete
  11. A bit late, but Congrats on your 100th post!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. CONGRATS Gobbo, yeeeeey!!!! go you x

    ReplyDelete