Thursday 3 December 2015

Completed ground floor - hospital WIP

Hooray! I've finally finished the ground floor of the hospital project, there was a bit of a delay due to some ongoing back problems and an exam that I'd been revising for (we all need downtime though, right?) 

The last bits to be completed were the waiting room, A&E and resuscitation room.  The waiting room was relatively simple, 3x scratch built benches and a foamboard/foam vending machine. I had a little trouble thinking about how I wanted to paint the machine as I wanted to show the foods behind the glass, in the end I chose a simple blue wash over the top (I seriously am not a painter). A&E and resus were easy enough to finish off with kitchen towel curtains and match/cocktail stick frames. I added a wall mounted analysis unit behind where the trolleys will be just for detail. 
vending machine
wall decoration - analysis or oxygen delivery unit
waiting room, sorry about the light i finished this late last night
resus, no beds yet
resus (now with the two beds my wife let me use to size the cubicles) and A&E
the finished floor
Now I just have to wait for Xmas for the hospital trolleys, before I started the build I ordered some cracking models from Grekwood miniatures as well as zombie docs, nurses and patients as I only have a few. However the wife commandeered them and they now form part of my Xmas gift..... 

Just the top floor - maternity, wards and isolation unit, and the roof - helipad (of course) and other obstacles to go!

I hope you're still enjoying this, I know I am!
on the board ready for the next floor


13 comments:

  1. Andy, it must really help that you work for the NHS as your attention for detail on this model is second to none. The Grekwood hospital beds and zombies are superb and will feel right at home in your hospital. This is model-making at its inspirational best!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Terrific stuff, and I definitely second Bryan's thoughts. This is a cracking series of posts and a wonderful build. Thoroughly enjoying it, and all the little deft touches you are putting into it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Bryan and Bk firstly thank you both, I'm blushing at such high praise from two luminaries as yourselves. It really is a labour of love so despite being bent over the workbench and giving me backache I'm really enjoying this project too much to not flitter off to another project (as I'm want to do) and think about the detail I want. Bryan you are bang on when you said about working in the NHS helping, often when I bring a patient to hospital I look around at layout, equipment etc :) I will be adding scatter terrain after completing the build such as oxygen canisters and portable machines but I wanted to finish the build before something shiny draws my attention away (ooh look Bushido.....) and again you're right I had a sneaky peek of the Grekwood stuff before it was taken away, they are terrific! The guy who sculpted them has done real good! Will showcase them after Xmas and they've had some slap added ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. This has been such a revelation to watch unfold, wonderful build.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great build and I do like your use of foamboard for.....well, just about everything. I'd have been using scraps of cork (difficult to get a neat finish with btw), so I'll be looking to playing with some foam in the future.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Amazing job dude! The details are excellent. Yes, I'm still enjoying it very much.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Amazing job! This is one of the most interesting and well done scratchbuilds I have seen. The small details are really over the top, you are doing a spectacular job!

    I can't wait to see this is action. It will be awesome to see it in a batrep!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks N667, I can't wait to game on this board, a little ways to go yet. I'm trying to think of an inaugural scenario for the grand opening lol

      Delete
  8. Gosh, I haven't visited recently, but the board is lovely. That's one nice clinic you got there.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Welcome Cedric, I'm a huge admirer of your batreps and gaming boards. Thank you

      Delete
  9. Looks fantastic dude nice additions to it.

    ReplyDelete