Progress is being made on the supermarket, mostly on the structure. I wanted to represent the more typical retail structures which are usually glass fronted. This meant going back to the technique used in my three houses i.e. coffee stirrers cut in half length ways and then painted, in this case bronze to make up the frames. I then used blister pack plastic to recreate the glass.
I then made up the walls for the shop. I chose to make a Morrisons (a UK based supermarket chain) not for any real reason but the signage is pretty usable for the build. I wanted the walls to look modern so didn't scribe the brick pattern on any of the public facing walls and only left the bare brick work for the employee only areas to recreate the difference between the public and private areas in retail operations.
While the paint was drying on the walls I started carving the ground work on the base. This meant the standard paving/tarmac mix that makes up British pavements, as well as the tiles on the shop floor. I also sanded the "dropped curb" areas, one for a parking lot and the other for the delivery entrance.
Painting the base was simplicity....erm not! Tiles individually painted is so time consuming. The tarmac areas will eventually get a textured paint covering and white lines etc but for now left a base black.
The roller door for the delivery entrance was simplicity itself. Some corrugated cardboard with the thin paper covering removed carefully and then glued back to back before cutting to size.
Last thing this week is to show the shelving units I've started to build, made from coffee stirrers and some mdf scraps. These will have either my Das fully stocked pieces on them or half filled versions when I get around to making them.
That's it for this week. All that remains is for me to wish all of you good people a very merry Christmas and I'll catch you on the flip side.