Monday 22 February 2016

Immediate medevac required....roger that, Helo 568 is inbound...

Hi all

A little while back as you may know, I purchased a model helicopter kit 1/48 version of the Westland Wessex. A venerable old aircraft it was used extensively by the RAF and the Royal Navy for search and rescue as well as anti-submarine warfare duties back in the 70's and 80's. This model took me right back to my childhood and I was very easily persuaded to paint it up as I remembered it.

Eventually I decided to do it as the Navy version as I had the source material on the box as well as plenty of online pics. Also there is a Wessex in the Spitfire museum less than 5 miles from my house. So please find my version below...
next to my BA downed RAF pilot

Firstly the astute purists amongst you will note that I have not attached the ASW modifications to the aircraft, this was deliberate. I wanted a sleeker look plus I figured any useless additions would be jettisoned by the crew in order to preserve fuel in an apocalypse, I mean zeds don't drive those subs do they?!? Plus there were some slight issues with me mixing the variants up a bit to produce a chopper that was pleasing to my games.

I painted the model using Citadel paints and washes, the interior was painted before final assembly so I could get the detail done. The extensive decals really make the model and I'm pleased with the way it looks. It was fairly easy to put together and overall I would rate the model as really good.....however......it does look a trifle big! 

Measured against a 28mm mini, the cockpit and bench seats and indeed the whole model I'd say are spot on. But then you compare it to my buildings and it starts to look very disproportionate and way too large, in fact it is too big for my helipad I put on my hospital. When I put it next to my 4ground buildings it is the length of 3 terraced houses! Now it is in reality a big aircraft, but not that big! So I'm not sure what to do, I like it a lot and have already used it in an ATZ scenario but I may have to get another chopper to fit the scale a bit more and be a bit more aesthetically pleasing......oh well


oops!!
enjoy
dGG

16:20 (+4)
figs bought:painted (difference)


17 comments:

  1. For what it's what worth, Andy, I don't think it does look too big. My Black Hawk helicopter model is much longer but it still looks right. I would advise buying another helicopter model, but something much smaller. Something like this that I saw on eBay -
    http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/ACA12249-Academy-1-48-Hughes-500D-Police-Helicopter-Replaces-ACA01643-/191724937874?hash=item2ca3b26292:g:SaMAAOSw91NTu6Sb
    Only £5.99 and it comes with a nice motorbike as well. It'd sit nicely on your hospital heli-pad.
    By the way, your Westland Wessex looks stunning!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thanks B, yeah I think it looks great but will look for a smaller one for convenience, thanks for yet another link dude :-)

      Delete
  2. That looks awesome Andy, and though it does look a bit too big for your landing pad. It doesn't look too large for your minis scale. indeed I'd say the helicopter was spot on imho. Though if you plan on replacing it with a smaller one and want to send it to a good home ;-) Great stuff my friend and a real keeper in my books!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks mate, I think I may suspend it above the table! The scale looks great with minis it's just the buildings where it dominates lol

      Delete
  3. The model looks great but a little on the big side!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks HW it is a big helo in reality but maybe a little too big for gaming. However I think the 1/72 will be too small!?!

      Delete
  4. That helo looks the business Andy! Great job on the paintwork and your decision to leave off the ASW was a solid one. It may be a little big but have you thought about enlarging the helipad slightly. When you used it in ATZ did you utter the immortal line "Get to da choppa!"

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks dude, maybe once or twice! Plus a lot of thwoppa, thwoppa noises lol

      Delete
    2. And yeah I might just paint the helipad directly onto the roof....

      Delete
  5. That, Sir, is a thing of beauty! What a great job, does it look too big? Well maybe, but when it looks as good as that I wouldn't worry.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Looks very cool! It is probably good for scale but does look a bit large. I'm pretty sure that's just because I'm used to the smaller more modern helicopters...

    It should make a great addition for a medivac/escape chopper (Git to dah CHOPPA!) in your games.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is very cool, no way I'm parting with it, but maybe I'll have to buy a back up choppa......oh man ;-)

      Delete
  7. Wow, that's great! It may seem a little on the large size, but it does make a statement and can easily be the star centrepiece om any scenario.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Joe it played centre stage in a scenario this morning and was fab if overhanging the helipad....

      Delete
  8. Yay! Finally got WordPress to add your blog to my followed ones - better late than never. Very nice work on the chopper. You will of course now have to resize all your buildings to fit in with it...or just build a bigger helipad. Now that I have full 'mobile' access to your blog, I will be delving into your back catalogue, as someone mentioned turtles...

    Regards Jez

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Welcome Jez, glad you made it. As you know I love your ghostbuster stuff so hope I can tempt with some TMNT :-)

      Delete