Monday 27 February 2017

derrr dum........derrrr dum.......dum, dum, dum,dum dum dum

cue the ominous music.........


Hi all

welcome to a new addition to da Grotto and joining his Jung Pirate Faction brethren meet Arata...

The fury of the Chrome Sea, the shark is the apex predator beneath the waves and Arata is just as frightening above water. Dazzlingly fast, driven wild by the smell of blood, he is a pure monster when unleashed. Whether savaging startled enemies with a maw of razor sharp teeth, or bowling then over with tremendous force he is a formidable warrior. Like all those changed by the great Kami    Sumiyoshi Sanjin, little is left of the man he once was but this does not matter in times of war.

As soon as this miniature was released I wanted him in my faction, in fact he was the reason I wanted the faction in the first place. I mean a frickin' Man-Shark for goodness sake! No matter what his stats were like or his rice cost he was gonna get caught in my net (ahem, sorry) as it happens his very reasonably priced in the game and worth the punt.



Looking at his card he stacks up pretty well, for just 7 rice he comes with 3 dice in melee with a charging bonus of slam attack (0) or an extra 1" to his move and sweep attack (0) if the model is wounded at all.  Causing models to lose a dice in melee or an activation through his "Fear (4)" trait enhances his chances of using those razor sharp teeth on his opponent! If he gets the Ki "Hammer Strike" all but ensures that he'll batter through any defence. He also comes stacked with "Sixth Sense" which is useful for sniffing out those pesky ninjas or seeing through the Bakemono induced "Darkness" that has been plaguing my games recently.  With a healthy 8 point wound track it's hard to find something not to like but then you get to "Impetuous" as a trait and you can see that tactically he's not all that subtle... This trait means he always has to be activated first which can be a real pain and can offer the tactical advantage to my opponent.  However not to worry, just point him at the enemy and let him munch his way through them with abandon!




Arata emerges from the briny deep to raid the market place...

or maybe he just wants a "freshly" cooked burger from the Cupid Burgers franchise stall

maybe he's not that hungry after all as he slips back into the harbour waters
Paint wise he was relatively simple as a I used GW "Fenresian Steel" as a base coat for his rubbery hide and coated it with a healthy dose of blue ink and highlighting up.  The breeches are the faction colours to tie it in chiefly GW's "Emperor's Children Pink" and shaded with red ink.  The base was a very simple sand to represent a piece of coastland.

Use wise, he's simply there to bring the pain! no point in him trying to work the scenario as he always has to go first, so just point and shoot - job done.

hope you enjoy
dGG



31 comments:

  1. A "Nice" Psychotic shark (Hammerheads have a reputation for being very aggressive in real life or so I am told).

    I very good looking new faction I look forward to seeing more. This really is a most significantly terrifying start. The paint colours really make the model.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think you're right Clint, I'd heard they're an aggressive breed and his stats certainly reflect that!

      Delete
  2. That's a cool looking figure, Andy. He'd fit in well with Captain Carcharius's Deep Lords pirates that I have just covered on my own blog.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He's rather cool Bryan. Hahaha it looks like we collaborated on content today!

      Delete
  3. Unusual looking figure/character but not one of my favourites, though you've done an excellent paint-job on him .

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Each to their own Joe, the beauty of our hobby is that there is something for everyone out there ;-)

      Delete
  4. Really nice paint job Andy, and the jung pirates are very tempting with their Aquatic feel, must finish snakes first

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. One more pirate to come Dave and it might tip you over the edge! I'd love to see your Ito clan :-)

      Delete
    2. I have the same Impetuous issue with my Ito. STILL struggling with making sure Akimoto goes first. Any tricks to remember to send ol' snarky out first? Awesome paint on him btw.

      Delete
    3. Have almost finished my first one Andy, will send you pictures as soon as it's finished

      Delete
    4. YY - not sure buddy, he hasn't landed on the gaming table yet but short of painting a giant 1 on the back of the mini, i'm not sure!

      Dave - look forward to it buddy!

      Delete
  5. Looking good, you'll love the Great White Umimiman!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. can't wait to throw him in the deep end......

      Delete
  6. Well that's just about as cool as it gets! Great job Andy.

    ReplyDelete
  7. These really are great minis...and you have, as always, done them justice! Lovely job!

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a cool looking mini. You've painted it fab mate as well. I like all the cool little barnacles on him nice touches!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Gct rarely make bad ones, but he's a particularly good one!

      Delete
  9. Wow, he's one mean looking brute. I think it's a toss up between him and the gorilla on which one's bad side I rather be on if I had to choose. Nice work dGG!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Um, that's a well-detailed miniature - but not really to my taste.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Street Sharks!! (sorry showing my age, well my sons age as it him who used to watch it), realy nice figure though.

    Cheers Roger.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Street sharks!! I think they were around between my childhood and my son's somewhere...

      Delete
  12. I like it. A cool mini, very well painted.

    ReplyDelete