Wednesday 8 February 2017

The most magnificent Buzenbo

Hi all

I'm so excited about this post, but lets do this properly and in line with the way I've been presenting my Bushido miniatures in recent times.

Buzenbo is an awesome model both on and off the tabletop so I was determined to do my very best with his paintjob as I can see me using him in every game that the Tengu fight in.  Here is his official blurb...

The rarest and largest of the Tengu, the Kurama are the leaders of the Tengu people. Buzenbo like all of his caste is a formidable warrior with both sword and bow. Standing ten foot tall and with a wing span three times that, the Kurama are a majestic sight on the battlefield. Soaring down and scattering the enemy with a thunderous beat of muscled wing before unleashing volley after volley of steel tipped arrows the length of a man. Even the bravest will tremble at the screech heard shortly before the shadow of Fujin’s wrath falls upon them.  


So usage of the "Big Man", firstly he is so quick with movement 5 and fly he is able to swiftly deploy and redeploy bringing that huge bow to bear where it is most needed.  Talking about the bow with an awesome range of 18" played an a 24" board there really is no where to hide, Buzenbo throws 3 dice in ranged and can boost that with Ki so has a good chance of hitting the target with a reasonably high success level, combined with +2 damage and ignoring armour - most targets are going to feel the pain. His Ki feat "Quick reload" means that he can launch a hail of steel at the critical moment.

He's no slouch in melee either, although he has an average 3 melee dice, he can boost that with Ki to a max of 6.  With "fear (4)" there is a good chance that his opponent will lose a dice in melee and "Martial Prowess" he'll be rerolling missed attack or defence dice.  Armour (3) and a long health track means he's gonna stay in the fight for a while.  If it looks like he's in trouble he can always use his Ki feat "Wing Buffet" to clear the way.

At 13 rice he's so expensive but totally worth it and will fulfill whatever role he's given. So to the painting....

So the official paint scheme is to portray Buzenbo as a Bald Eagle, which is a magnificent bird BUT it is an American bird, I wanted a Asian eagle so went with the most awesome eagle (in my opinion) - the Golden Eagle.

Image result for golden eagle

So the palette had to be mostly browns with yellows.  My faction colours are already yellow and black so it will be quite a limited palate, but I prefer that anyway.

base colours, sorry about the lighting

a generous covering of Army Painter Strong Tone


highlights


you can just see the threads of golden yellow  in the wings



just to give you a sense of how big this model is, I thought I would line him up against some of the other birds.  From left to right we have Zenkibo - sezume caste (smaller sized tengu), next up is Kotenbo - a Haiatake caste (medium sized Tengu) and finally Buzenbo - a Kurama caste



He is magnificent and by far my favourite sculpt in an outstanding range of figures.

hope you enjoy
dGG




28 comments:

  1. Wow! What an amazing miniature, that wingspan looks huge and you really nailed the paint job.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He is an absolute beast Michael, bigger than most Oni

      Delete
  2. Replies
    1. They really are an awesome size Phil, painting them was fun, sadly I don't think the photos do them justice as I worked really hard on them with very subtle changes in the highlights taking many, many different layers - probably one of the better paint jobs I've done in a long time (even if I do say so myself ;-) )

      Delete
  3. Very nice paint job Andy, what a beast of a model !

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers Dave, I'm really pleased with this beast!

      Delete
  4. So impressive. I can see why you love this figure so much. His stats are truly frightening. I can see him being a thorn in any opponent's side.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Very impressive Bryan, he should terrorise opponents as normally the best way to get rid of archers is to engage them in combat.....uh oh! :-)

      Delete
  5. Excellent. This one is not a Skeksis! I like them all but I think I prefer this non skeksis look it seems more "Natural" and "lifelike" which seems odd to say about mythical beings from a very different culture.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He is a cool looking bird type god thing Clint... i know what you mean mate ;-)

      Delete
  6. That's a big bird...which means yypu could have gone down the root of painting him AS Big Bird. However, I'm glad you didn't.
    He seems a rather imposing model and character and it will interesting to see him in play and what or who can stand up to him. Lovely work, Andy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jez, I somehow doubt he would be quite as impressive if he was bright yellow! ;-)
      He is an impressive beast and I think it will take quite a bit to neutralise him, leaving the rest of my models to win the game!

      Delete
  7. Replies
    1. Thanks Gordon as soon as saw the miniature I knew he needed to land on the table!

      Delete
  8. Replies
    1. Thanks HW, I felt like I owed the awesome sculpt the best effort I have!

      Delete
  9. Tip top paintwork from the Baron of "Bushido" himself!!! Outstanding work... and arguably your very best work to date. Those wings are stunning...!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Simon, I must admit I'm very proud of the wings **preens** ;-)

      Delete
  10. This one freakin' cool figure dGG and you've done a bang-up job on him. Hope he does well for you in game. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. An investment both in points and pounds but I'm sure he will be Rod!

      Delete
  11. Your pride is fully justified. Outstanding job.

    ReplyDelete
  12. More Buishido goodness, and what an impressive model! I defiantly think the brown of your model looks better than the pale blue of the official one.

    Cheers Roger.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Roger, I can understand why they use the striking colours but it is after all an American symbol not Asian. It had to be a Golden Eagle

      Delete
  13. What a superb mini; you've done well restraining yourself from painting him too "flashy" and bright as the pastel colours work really well imo.
    Very impressive.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Joe, I'm not one for the too flashy anyway, bug I thought these birds needed that natural look to them

      Delete