Monday 30 May 2016

More temple warriors

hi all

I promise that the next post on Wednesday will be part one of a Bushido AAR, but I still have models waiting for review for Bushido including some on order with Wayland Games which should round out both of my current factions nicely.  So if you're waiting for me to get back to the zombie wargaming you'll have to wait a bit longer i'm afraid. If you're waiting for or wondering why there is very little Warhammer wargaming despite the title of this blog, then i'm afraid you'll be waiting even longer as that has slipped right down the pecking order.....

so to the post then I'm going to review some of the recent additions to da Grotto, Aiko and her Guardian are some of my favourite models for Bushido - right up there with Mizuchi. I love the background for this little lady and her very protective simian. 

The Temple of Ro-Kan gain some real punching power, the mighty fists of a Gorilla. Fiercely protective of Aiko, the Gorilla is a fearsome opponent at the best of times, when he is imbued by Aiko’s blessing he becomes almost invincible

There is a cracking story that provides an excellent background for this pairing on the GCT website and I'm not sure I would be allowed to replicate it here so I have attached a link for you to the website here. In fact all of the stories give a good insight into the game and are well worth a read (here's a link







With the Guardian I googled silverbacks in order to try and replicate the colours and patterns of gorillas.  Although I have seen many gorillas as I'm lucky enough to live close to two wildlife parks with amazing facilities and conservation efforts for Lowland Gorillas I 'd forgotten that they were not just black and silver and that often they had brown patches mostly around their foreheads/crowns but some on their flanks.  For my beast I stuck with just the forehead and crown to break up the rest, as I wanted him to be a big Alpha he had a liberal covering of silver from shoulder to thighs.  

Aiko was dressed in initiate robes for the Temple and as part of my faction she had the purple inititate's stripe to her traditional orange.

As for playing these guys, it really is a case of protecting Aiko at all times so she can control the big beast and blessing him with her Ki feat either increasing his strength or armour and then healing any wounds post fight.  The beast will wade in and just smash up most opponents enhanced by her blessing and maybe a card or two.

Also high kicking their way into da Grotto are a pair of young monks. First up we have Riku...

A favourite of the temple elders and new initiates alike, Riku personifies what it means to be a Monk. His mastery over water allows him to achieve awe inspiring feats on the battlefield, creating walls of water out of the very air to hinder his opponents




Hotaru thanks the Kami’s for guiding her to the Temple of Ro-Kan and Master Ekusa. She has learned to contain her powers but still fears unleashing her full potential. Hotaru’s desire to control her innate abilities provides little comfort for opponents left ablaze by her fiery attacks. The Temple have found a welcome addition to their order in Hotaru.






Riku was a joy to paint, really enjoyed the figure and the same with Hotaru, I had a chance to practice my elemental paint palette.  i do struggle a little painting water effects as I tend to go a little bit too blue! but this water is being dynamically drawn from the air using a Ki feat so wasn't going to be anything other than pure water! i did try to add some greeny blue tones but they suffered in the poor photography.  I particularly enjoyed painting Hotaru's flames with blending of tones from Vallejo light sand up to orange brown, i wanted the source of ignition to be almost pure white with the ferocity of Hotaru's "flame on" attack.  Both monks get either white stripes or a white sash to indicate their status in the order.


hope you enjoy
dGG

97:60 (-37)


figs bought:painted (difference)

26 comments:

  1. Hotaru is a fantastic piece of work, get gaming now

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Martin, I'm sorting the gaming out now ;-)

      Delete
  2. More excellent figures to add to your growing collection. I am very much looking forward to seeing your first Bushido batrep. Oh, and no need to apologise for the lack of Warhammer articles. It wouldn't bother me if they never returned. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The first walk through AAR is up Wednesday Bryan.

      Delete
    2. Also finally got round to changing the title to a more generic one

      Delete
  3. Ah... another cracking treat for the eyes, courtesy of Andy's "Bushido" painting project. Wonderful stuff my friend, simply wonderful, and a couple more of those minis have certainly gone onto my ever-increasing 'must buy' list.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dude, your list must be longer than your arm what with Bryan's 7TV minis and these rather excellent Bushido minis. I've only got a few more left to review and then it's the dry spell between now and Christmas, unless of course I spot some bargains or tease some extra gaming funds from Mrs Gobbo ;-)

      Delete
  4. More lovely work and funnily enough I was just looking at the ape earlier today so great to see your rendition here.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He's a great piece isn't he, big too! Would make a wicked King Kong in 15mm....lol

      Delete
  5. Having only briefly looked at the Bushido figures more than a year ago, your highlighting of them is encouraging me to give them another look. I especially like the "element benders"! Very nice work, Andy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jez, I must admit to really liking the elemental monks myself, Hotaru is such a nice mini I had to have her in my force and will pick her in most lists just because of the look, same with Riku :-)

      Delete
  6. That ape is cracking work, I was thinking it looks just like me!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He's a fine figure of an ape Fran so maybe!

      Delete
  7. Well done, especially the ape & Aiko.

    ReplyDelete
  8. What fabulous minis and brushwork your certainly burning your way through these. Love Hotaru I can't help but make street fighter sound effects when I saw these sort of sculpts AWESOME!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I like the blog name-change, now a very appropriate one imo (I'm considering something similar)and the figures are great additions to your forces though I'm curious about a gorilla in 'Japan'.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Indeed Joe, gorillas are native to Africa only?! Still it is a pseudo Japan and the model is gorgeous ;-)

      Delete
    2. A name change for your blog is probably in order now your looking at pirates, which I'm loving by the way! Have you checked out the new pirates at black scorpion website?

      Delete
  10. How do you get all this stuff DONE. Another great post. Quite awe inspiring actually.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks mate, I work loooong shifts so have multiple days off in the week, allows me crank up production at times at the expense of my uni essays.....

      Delete
  11. That's it, after I get through this week, I`m going to sit down and start looking into this Bushido thing very closely. Every post you bring to the screen seems to just keeps impressing me over and again.

    Hil x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Hil that's very nice to hear :-)

      Delete
  12. Good.. isn't he Hil.

    ReplyDelete