Monday 9 May 2016

Matsu Takashi and Guardsman of Ryu

Hi all

Today's offerings are from the Prefecture of Ryu, a faction from the GCT Studio game Bushido.  This, for those that follow this humble blog, is my second faction and one of the draws that was used to lure me into the game. I started with Mizuchi as posted a few days ago and now we have the gorgeous Matsu Takashi, here's her blurb from GCT.

Driven on by a purpose few could match, Matsu fights for her lost sister. The shugenja training she has received for years is now being channelled and focussed in ways her mentors never intended. She balks at no fight against any opponent, seeing any battle as an opportunity to hone her abilities. Allowing her to one day take down her real adversary, Itsunagi Ito.





As stated before for this faction i would tie it together with the basing to represent wooden flooring inside dojos and important civic building - palaces, temples, forts etc and the Clan's colour - blue. Matsu therefore was given a coat of Lothern Blue for her kimono with a Iyanden Darksun trim. Her pose is meant to represent her forming a ball of force using her Ki feat "Force Manipulation", on the GCT website there is an amazing tutorial about how to paint light sourcing and it shows you how to paint the mini to represent that force ball but I chickened out, those type of skills are beyond my level and it would just look messy, but I urge you to check it out here as it is totally worth it! Maybe later on i'll practice on a spare mini and see how it looks.

The Guardsman of Ryu pack comes with a Yari or Arquebus, which for me was a no-brainer! had to be the arquebus.  Here's the blurb...

Whether with yari or the fabled Arquebus the ashigaru stationed at Ryu are staunchly loyal to the Takashi and will defend their clan to the death. They are trained and drilled relentlessly to ensure that in battle they act and react instinctively, unflinching as they wait for orders from their Gunso or samurai commanders. The Arquebusiers see it as such an honor to be picked into the regiment that it is said that they even take them on their final journey to Hantaisoku.





The guardsman was painted with GW Fenris Steel for his undergarment and Lothern Blue for his Karuta Tatami-do (body armour) and Jingasa (helmet).  The gold I used GW's Shining Gold and for the first time I shaded it differently (without black) using Sepia first and then Agrix earthshade to give it a warmer look.

Matsu and the Guardsman will be my ranged attack support and will sit away from the action somewhat with some clear lines of sight, hopefully picking off strays and putting some preparatory wounds on bigger characters before I start meleeing with my combat monsters.

hope you enjoy
dGG

61:48 (-13)

figs bought:painted (difference)

24 comments:

  1. Nice figs, that is an epic aquebus. Do love samurai gaming

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. cheers mate, yeah its got some style hasn't it!

      Delete
  2. Two more wonderful figures, Andy. I have to agree with Martin, that arquebus is one hell of a weapon!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thanks Bryan, they come up wonderfully so much so that I worry that I don't do them the justice that they deserve. I love the detail from GCT

      The arquebus is a powerful weapon in the game but you aren't going to shoot it very much!

      Delete
  3. Both are great, but the movement in Matsu is superb.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. i think she looks particularly good Michael

      Delete
  4. Nice work on them both dude. I love the arquebus such an intricate looking weapon.

    OSL isn't as hard as it sounds specially on small things like gems etc. I had a little play with some of my Relics characters.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thanks mate, I think I'll have a practice before committing to Matsu, but the model does deserve that extra attention, so I will go back to it once i get the bulk of the models completed to a reasonable standard

      Delete
  5. Now that Matsu Takashi is very tempting indeed Andy. You;ve done a cracking paint-job on her. Fortunately neither "Dark Sphere" nor "Troll Trader" had one in stock or else I was buying her... wait-a-minute the "GCT Studio" website has her in stock... damn. Order made ;-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Bwahaha got you! I knew id crack you in the end Simon. She is a stunning model though, I'm not surprised ;-)

      Delete
    2. Well she, and the other mini I bought, are arguably "Street Fighter" ringers... and then a thought struck me... "Street Fighter Zombicide" with "Bushido" Demons. That's got to be a winner surely ;-)

      Delete
    3. surely! what a novel but excellent thought, can't wait to see the results :-)

      Delete
  6. Another cracking pair of figures, Andy. Whilst my plate is currently full, you are tempting back into Oriental Fantasy.
    And Simon should know better - although Street Fighter Zombicide sounds cool! Does that mean the Ryu lookalike from your Fistful of King Fu boxed set will finally get painted?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You would be able to use your currently door less but soon to be finished storehouse Jez.....

      Delete
  7. Indeed. And that might make me finish my re purposed Jez Goodwin Skaven, who will make up my Nezumi buntai. Curse you, Andy! Looks like I know what I'll be doing in July now...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. no worries Jez, glad ive managed to help ;-)

      Delete
  8. I simply love your work, your painting, the way you write (the enthusiasm is infectious and makes me just want to get my stuff out and PLAY). You are an inspiration to me.

    I also really like those Bushido miniature and the rules. The stat cards are simply beautiful (like you, I really love to see cards protected in plastic sleeves).

    I didn`t go the Bushido route in the end. I went for "Scarlet Heroes" which fits my plans nicely. But it was a hard choice for me, to choose between the two rule sets.

    T

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Tarot, I appreciate your kind words. I am extremely enthused by this game and I hope by the end of this run of blog articles others are too.

      The plastic cards are necessary to protect the stat cards from my heavy handed spilling of tea on my gaming stuff, but also useful marking off wounds for your characters with a dry marker negating the need for separate counters.

      Scarlet Heroes is a new one on me but having just read through some of the reviews on it, it looks a fun game! But why choose between one or t'other when you can get both ;-P

      Delete
    2. hehe, wise words: why choose one over the other, simply use both. I like it.

      Scarlet Heroes is great because it is designed for one player one DM, so makes a nice change from the norm. The Red Tide campaign is exceptionally nice, is a neat sandbox campaign, and has an extremely oriental/Japanese feel.

      But Bushido just wont go away in my head. I am very tempted by it. Maybe I will place my tentative first order with the company soon. Those figures are simply to die for. The more I see of YOUR collection, the more I am torn.

      Delete
    3. Exactly, I think I may be looking into this Red Tide as a quid pro quo ;-)

      If you think you're torn now, I've got some more crackers coming soon :-)

      Delete
  9. this is really hot stuff. I`m loving your work here.

    ReplyDelete