Thursday 23 March 2017

Kampfgruppe Nordland part 2

Hi all

The next installment from Chris "Naps" Thorne and his excellent Bolt Action project.

KAMPFGRUPPE NORDLAND

For Bolt Action Rules

Well after a little taster with the 88mm Flak it's time to move onto the rest of the KG (see previous posts here and here) . I have now got ahead of where I wanted to be painting wise so we should now hopefully see a weekly update appearing in da grotto.......thank you Gobbo!

So first up the KG commander. In game terms I've taken him as a Veteran officer with one soldier  accompanying him as well as purchasing a medic as well.






He represents SS-Sturmbannfuhrer Rudolf Ternedde. Originally a Battalion Commander in SS Panzer-Grenadier Regiment 24 "Danmark". Ternedde was appointed commander of the remnants of Nordland's two infantry regiments, 23 "Norge" and 24 "Danmark" on 25th April 1945 following the death of the Regiments previous commander, Obersturmfuhrer Petersen. Both amounted too little more than battalion strength by this stage and Ternedde would lead them in the final days of fighting in Berlin. Ternedde is believed to have led the breakout attempt on the 1st May of the remains of the Nordland Division. He survived the war the breakout passing away in 1999.



During his combat service from 1940 to wars end he had been awarded the Iron Cross 1st and 2nd Class, German Cross in Gold, Honour Roll Clasp of the Army, Close Combat Clasp in Gold for 50 days of close combat, Wound Badge in Gold for 5 or more wounds and the Infantry Assault Badge.

The figure are all by Warlord games. I was able to find a company making 28mm propaganda posters, so have added one on the medics base.....blowing in the wind. It's the first time I've painted German camouflage from this period. I've attempted to recreate the autumn Oak leaf pattern on the reversible SS camouflage smocks. I used a You Tube channel, Wargames, Soldiers and strategy for guidance on this ( thank you). The pattern is actually applied with a cocktail stick rather than a brush, a new method for me and actually worked really well.....I think.....well this is what it should look like....


So before the next installment, I would be interested to know how much detail you want me to go into. Concentrate on painting or the historical side.......anyway let me know via da Grotto. Thanks to N4L for the photos and Gobbo for the time and space!!



thanks Naps!

hope you enjoy
dGG








10 comments:

  1. I think the balance you have done in this report is perfect, with almost equal amounts about the modelling and painting, to the historical background. The background given here was very interesting and full of interesting facts

    ReplyDelete
  2. I totally agree with Dave. Excellent work!

    ReplyDelete
  3. He has a bot of a young Ray Winstone look about him don't you think? "Im the daddy now!"

    ReplyDelete
  4. Fab job on these! I Enjoy the posts as they come mate.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Cheers guys. Much appreciated

    ReplyDelete
  6. Very nice work, Chris. I think you've got the right balance between modelling and background info too. And the toothpick tip is a good one - might just work for some tartan I've got to paint shortly.

    ReplyDelete
  7. i agree I think its the right balance and the camouflage is spot on...... **cue tumbleweed**

    ReplyDelete
  8. This is marvellous stuff. I come back to blogging after a several month hiatus and return to the most extraordinary good stuff going on within the hobby. It’s like not having time to watch TV and finally coming back to loads of interesting stuff pre-recorded and ready to watch on Sky at my leisure. Most enjoyable I must say.

    I bought Bolt Action long ago and sadly, it simply didn't grab me. The rule book looked great... really great in fact; and I liked the look of the initiative system, but nothing at the time made me mad to play the game....... until one day, I saw it being played properly at a local club.

    Mmmm, I find Bolt Action (and all WWII table to wargaming in fact) is a little like that TV series “Location Location,” it’s easy to go look at an empty house and go “naaa, not for me” but it’s only when you can look beyond that and see the potential (i.e. see everything all painted and looking lovely) that you can start to see things shine in your own mind`s eye. WWII gaming can be exactly like that: and in fact I would go one step further and say that WWII gaming ONLY really comes alive on the table top once you put a lot of effort into making everything look amazing. Pile some books under a green cloth and call them hills, or use an empty cut up shoe box for a building, and you won’t get quite the same effect (like you can get away with, with most other genres of game). But take your time and savour your WWII terrain and miniatures, and you will create a visual feast. And only THEN does Bolt Action really start to shine and show you what it can do to make your games pleasurable.

    This project of yours is fantastic, the subject matter is utterly unusual (real credit to Chris for that one) , and the painting is absolutely spot on and gives just the right tone and feel for the genre.

    Truly marvellous stuff.

    ReplyDelete