Monday 29 August 2016

Ashigaru

Hi all

Before I start this post in ernest, can I just thank the amazing Tarot for her gift of the Celtos rulebook that i received from her in the post last week and to my shame failed to mention her generosity here.  Thanks mate, as generous as you are talented and beautiful.....is that enough? No! More you say? oh ok...no no it's fine.....look i said i would say it.... and clever and interesting....look now it's just coming across as creepy...no I'm just gonna stop....no no, look just who's blog is this anyway!! and funny and generous....happy? What do ya mean I already said generous? you sure? No one will have noticed, I'm sure they won't have, good that's settled then..... Anyhoo where was I...oh yeah a pic for those of you who don't know what Celtos is, I'm looking forward to exploring the book in more detail and then adapting some of my collection accordingly.  From what I've seen so far it looks ace.



Following my previous post featuring Hiro and Hanso I give you the last 3 members of the Prefecture of  Ryu starter set - the Ashigaru. These guys are the rank and file of the Takashi household and reflect the military nature of the Prefecture.  First up we have Minuro, he's an arquebusier, now I've already shown one arquebusier (here) but Minuro is a named character and therefore you are able to field both in a warband. Minuro has the added Ki feat "3 rounds a minute" which allows rapid reloading of his deadly firearm in comparison to his slower compatriots.


Next up is Jin, she is a Yariman with a difference - she's a girl! She is also an improvement on the bog standard Yariman with additional traits and an extra Ki feat, obviously this comes with a additional rice cost. 


Lastly we have that bog standard Yariman, he is not named and can have a partner as a result of that (dual wound tracks means you can replicate a model and have two!) these guys are useful as there first strike and 0 cost push attack are great at clearing objectives at scoring VPs, very useful in Bushido which is all about objectives.


Last but not least is a group shot of the force making their way down the mean streets of Ryu.


and with Hiro and Hanso as the complete set


This is a great set and would set you up nicely for the smaller sized 35 or 36 rice games, by adding another model such as Matsu you can upgrade to the medium sized warbands of 42 rice.  At around £25 each (depending on where you shop) the models come out at about a fiver each, which while that seems expensive (to me anyway) it's actually quite competitive for 32mm metal miniatures (the normal Bushido models are £6.95 and up), additionally there are very few game systems where you can buy a complete faction for less than £30 with the relevant cards and with a FREE to download rulebook plus other downloads.

Thats it for now.
Hope you enjoy
dGG

26 comments:

  1. Wonderful stuff once again O'Baron of Bushido!! I especially like the blue you've created, and touches like the china vase on the base; ah to have the keen eye for detail of a medical man ;-)

    I really don't though need you gaming "Celtos", as I have both the book (somewhere) and a smattering of "Brigade Games" minis (elsewhere); both of which would be a nigh-impossible to resist temptation to me should you start posting/painting/gaming about them!! Gibber... :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mwahaha! More temptation for your poorly abused wallet and your ever increasing painting queue Simon, this time you can blame the lovely Tarot for the future pain as she very kindly sent me the ruleset. The setting seems particularly intriguing and a heavy influence of Celtic lore methinks with Firbolgs and Formorians, I will be sifting through my miniature collection for suitable proxies for now!

      Delete
    2. hehe, I wont show you my CELTOS collection of Amazons then *grins impishly* they are rather nice I have to say. And I wont mention that got lucky when I purchased them, because `Other Realms` in Cork was selling them off (for some strange reason) and had HUNDREDS in a huge wicker box, at 80 cent.. or 65p per blister pack. I must have been mad, because at the time (I knew nothing about CELTS then but just liked the Amazons) I only bought about ten minis :( MADNESS, I know it now. I should have just bought the whole box: it must have contained over 300 blister packs.

      *ooops, I did mention it*

      Delete
    3. For some reason the Amazons make me blush.....

      I like the idea of the dwarfs and Valkyries

      Delete
  2. The biggest temptation of "Celtos" imho is that it always reminds me of Glenn Fabry's stint as artist on "Slaine" in "2000AD"; a stunning story with Fomorians, las-lines and the Celtos mythos. An absolutely cracking fantasy world which I could really lose myself in if pushed that way ;-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes indeed. My plan is to try and find a suitable Slaine figure, I've not managed to find one I'm truly happy with yet. He was awesome with Brainbiter and Ukko, I loved the character, stories and mythology so much. I'm looking forward to exploring the Celtos world

      Delete
    2. Concept artist for this range of minis actually was one of the artists for Slaine.

      Delete
    3. Sweet! Looking at the minis shown in the book they are pretty darn good

      Delete
  3. The vase on the figures base is such a nice Japanese touch! All the Ashiguru look tough and mean and stern as we would want professional soldiers to be. The board for me is the real star!

    As for celtos I have seen a few games played and it looks intriguing but not really my cup of char!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Clint, the vases were just cheap beads I got from The Works, there were others that I used as fruit on my market stalls, excellent for a pound a pack!

      Delete
  4. Great stuff, as usual. I need to get a thesaurus to increase the range of my superlative vocabulary

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know what you mean Martin, all the blogs I subscribe too and so much good work, it seems a bit shit to just say "these look really good" all the time.....

      Delete
    2. Or you could do a 1/2 arsed job and I have lots of words for that

      Delete
    3. Erm.....no I think I'll keep aiming for leaving you reaching for the thesaurus

      Delete
  5. What a delightful gift from Tarot. No wonder you were so thrilled by it. I have to agree with Simon about the Slaine connection. Wargames Foundry make the best Slaine figures in my opinion. See here http://www.wargamesfoundry.com/our-ranges/2000ad/2000ad-collection-9-bc2000ad009/ and here - http://www.wargamesfoundry.com/our-ranges/2000ad/2000ad-collection-1-bc2000ad001/

    Great work on the Ashigaru, Andy. Your work just gets better all the time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am thrilled Bryan and eying up my existing mini collection for some repurposing. I have seen the Wargames Foundry ones and they are nice, but for a character with so much....well character and long history I was hoping for a glorious figure maybe even mounted on the Knucker! With Ukko and Nest alongside......ahh to dream....

      Delete
  6. So sorry I`ve been quiet lately, we all have. Stevie is busy painting his new project and is lost in his own world.. all that comes out from behind the closed door of his hobby room (beyond the “Area 51: KEEP OUT” sign) is his War Sounds CD playing on a loop, Musket fire, fifes, and drum, and cries of battle, while inside he sits painting hundreds of Last of the Mohican French, British Continentals, Mountain Men and Forest Indian.. “The greyhair`s daughters will fall under my knife when next we meet” *best Magua voice impression*. Hil is preparing for her trip to England, and I am rushing to finish my Birthday present before we have to leave (I`m heading over too, as there is an event I want to attend, so will keep her company part of the way, and travel over together) .

    So not on the computer much this week I`m afraid. But Stevie told me to come see this so here I am. Hehe. I LOVED your commentary on the CELTOS thing hehehe. But wow, I do like the colours you have chosen to use on your latest `batch` of Bushido minis. Most inspiring and suitably thematic. I guess I will come back to loads of new posts, and will try catch up with everything then.

    Oo, incidentally the `present` I mentioned is a kindness of Bryan. He only went and bought me (along with the guys) EVERYTHING I need to play Blake`s 7 using 7TV2e. Yes he bought me the deluxe rules set with all the extras included mmmm. So I`ve been busy painting like crazy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No worries T, life and the hobby and everything else can get in the way. Definitely a shame that I can't meet up with you guys (Hils and yourself) when you're here, but it is what it is. Salute 2017 it is then....

      I look forward to seeing your project come to fruition T, thanks to Bryan's generosity ;-)


      Delete
    2. Oh Salute for sure, it will be all of us there I imagine. I hope to play you a wee game of something over lunch hehe.. Bushido?

      I`m at OctoGones on the 3rd though (in a few days time).

      Delete
    3. I think so T, Bushido for sure :-) I can't see the fire of this game dimming down for some time

      Delete
  7. Gorgeous stuff as ever Andy, truly beautiful figures and scenery that could grace any professional rule book.

    Never really tempted by Celtos, we did flirt with I-Core the sci-fi rules by the same original company but they never really tool off at the club, can't say why they just never sparked anyone imaginations I guess. Interested to see what you think of these though.

    Cheers Roger.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow! Thanks Roger, very kind of you to say that :-)

      We'll see what I can come up with then!

      Delete
  8. I notice no bat rep on our recent encounter ? Where I kicked your butt !! Oh yeah

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hahaha, I didn't want to keep stopping and taking notes/photos mate.....oh and I let you win on your first game so you wouldn't get all sulky.....yeah and it was a hot day.... I had a headache....

      Of course I wanted a rematch but someone was feeling a bit delicate......

      Delete
  9. Those minis do look great deployed amongst all that wonderful terrain.

    ReplyDelete