Wednesday 13 June 2018

My Broadside



hi all

Just a brief report from Broadside, the annual wargames show held in Sittingbourne, Kent and hosted by the Milton Hundred club.  

This is my closest wargames show of any size and I like to make an annual pilgrimage and have a nose through the Flea market and natter with the likes of Clint, Ray and Lee.  This year I was excited to be going up to help my buddy Darius run his stall promoting Uncon 4.0 (November 10/11), the games convention that we've been trying to develop over the last year or two and this year at Broadside we were going to play some gateway games that would entice wargamers.

About three days before Broadside, Dave - one of the organisers put out a plea for clubs to put out a game as he had a dropout.  Ok, I'm not a games club and I was already helping Darius out but I couldn't resist the chance to test out Blood, Sweat & Horses on a wargames community. So, yes you guessed it! up went my hand......

anyway, cut to the day and I turn up with B,S&H and the board games that Darius had thought might appeal and we set up with plenty of time to spare. We went with a nice lightweight game to start with - Scythe!


After setting up, I managed to get around the event before opening and chat with Clint and the Rejects lads before heading back to my table.  I was glad to, because within minutes of the doors opening I had a group of interested players ready to sit down and try their luck. (pictures posted with permission)



James, coaxing his team around the first bend

eyes up the coming corner...

doesn't slow his team down....

and stacks it into the pits...


I didn't get much opportunity to get around the show after that as my game had a steady stream of players, wandering over and giving me a thrashing at my own game....

still there were some very lovely looking tables










sorry I didn't get the names but I'm sure someone will put a name to each game on their (better written) posts.

My final game was with these two herberts....



Big Lee with a very convincing win! Ray ended the race in the pits having tanked his chariot in the final corner.....

hope you enjoy
dGG

17 comments:

  1. Looks like you had fun Andy, even if you didn't get much time to see the rest of the show

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Great fun Dave, plenty of games played and interesting game play from a range of people

      Delete
  2. Seems like a fun day out and for you, a successful one with lots of players lining up to play your chariots game.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was so happy to see people enjoying the game and even more delighted to have them enquire about release dates!

      Delete
  3. Brilliant! Sounds like a fabulous day out.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was a great day Michael thanks 😊

      Delete
  4. Thanks for the game, it was a great way to round off our day.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Congrats on your victory mate....those jammy cornering rolls....

      Hope your tooth is better?

      Delete
  5. Your 2nd, 3rd, 4th and 5th picture tell a wonderful story. Some very snazzy games on display there. I've seen the cobblestone mat before but didn't think too much to it but whoever placed the rest of the scenery has made it look ace, I'm very impressed, but of course your offering would have won the bloggers vote. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks John, they do and I wish I could have captured more but we were so busy playing, plus I can’t take pictures of some of the players etc.

      There were some spectacular boards mate, really good!

      Delete
  6. Great stuff Andy! Sounds like a steady stream of players coming over to try B,S&H was a really good thing - how was the feedback?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The feedback was really positive, which is reassuring! I’m more than open to any constructive criticism too but it’s always nice to get beaming faces on your players. Even a few enquiries on when it might be commercially available!

      Delete
  7. Looks and sounds like a successful day out buddy - and you're getting to be a "regular" on the participation game circuit ;-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes mate, I think it went really well. Seems like it lol. Got another Games con in November

      Delete
  8. There are some really excellent looking ames there and I think your game is now officially a pick-up and play as it seeems you can put it on at the drop of a hat!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers Joe, there were some amazing looking games there, the best was a Serengeti game where you had to get your herd to safety...wish I’d had time to play it!

      Delete
  9. Excellent looks like you had a good day and got to meet Ray and Lee bonus!

    ReplyDelete