Friday 22 June 2018

Frustration!

hi all

Yes I’m frustrated! Real life is getting in the way of hobby time, as always. The amount of available time for gaming is impacted, of course but there has also been no progression on any gaming fronts but one. No minis painted, no terrain built, no Flashpoint Zoo progress.....nilch, nada, nowt....

So to the one thing I have been working on - Blood, Sweat & Horses. Joe’s been working through the rule book with me and has been raising questions, issues and proposing solutions. Most of which I have been able to incorporate, discuss or smooth over into the game. This has, in my opinion enhanced the game greatly and through his fresh eyes i’ve been able to tackle some of the ‘niggly’ bits of the game. Once again can I express my deep gratitude for this. 

Of course it’s not all good news on this front, hence the title of the post. All the good progress I’ve made on the development of the project has now meant that I’m at the point where my talents have come to an end and I’m stuck a little bit with moving the game forward and moving closer to me being able to offer it out as a product.

While the bulk of the rules and mechanics are in a reasonable shape and I can push this with further play testing etc, the look of the printable version of the game is very drab and functional and completely unprofessional. The event and activation cards were created in a plain word document and look unimpressive. This is the frustrating part because I’d love to progress this but I can’t!

I know I need artwork but can’t use other people’s work, I know I need to put that into some kind of template to produce event cards etc... but all of these things need a budget I just don’t have. My budget for this project is £0.00, yup nothing at all. I can’t commission an artist for my vanity project, so I’m stuck - frustrating!

I guess I need to find an artist and a graphic designer that would do me a solid (free!) favour...

Hopefully next week I’ll be back to my happy place
dGG

p.s this is just a rant, not a begging post.....
p.p.s sorry guys

19 comments:

  1. I understand the frustration on your part of being incapable of all the things that are needed to get a game "looking the part", I had the same issues, in a minor form, just taking photographs of my game (still an ongoing issue).
    There are firms out there that provide card-printing services and will also provide artowrk iirc. I'd check with Colgar6 for his input as he's had experience producing both his "Full Thrust" and "ATZ" cards.
    From my perspective my inter-acton with you has been a joy and a great boost to my own flagging enthusiasm.
    There must be wargamers out there who are also artists that would surely help ? Perhaps a shout out

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. "Perhaps a shout-out" to various boards, FB etc. may have reseults ?
      [I hit a wrong button before finishing my comment - typical of me with technology]

      Delete
    2. haha no worries Joe, me and tech have a similar arrangement....
      i'm glad our interactions have bolstered your hobby enthusiasm, long may it continue!
      it's worth a shout I think

      Delete
  2. I remember reading an article from Mongoose Games where they canvassed a local art college for artists, effectively getting art for their products for free. The art student was gaining more subjects for their portfolio and as they were not 'professional' artists, they weren't able to charge. Possibly an avenue worth exploring?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I feel your frustrations mate, having gone through this already. There is another avenue, but would mean losing a lot of control, where you approach a company to take on board your game then they will work their magic to make it all pretty. I would only use this as a last resort, as they could end up changing a lot, and I've heard some people getting royally screwed out of their creation

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. tbf it's not really an option mate, I'm not wanting my little vanity project to be taken away and changed beyond all recognition or worse buried completely until they can be bothered to resurrect it with a change of name and a big FU to me...

      Delete
  4. Sorry mate I don't think I've anything to contribute apart from sympathy. The idea from Jez sounds worth pursuing, a student getting their name and credit on a game has to be worth something to them in their portfolio when looking for paid work and it may well go towards their course work so doubly good. Having said that I'm not so sure how you would make the contact without pinning something on their notice board.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. no worries Jon, it was mostly a rant and part plea. I'm sure I can get going again but there are challenges ahead if I want this to proceed beyond a club game.

      Delete
    2. Find out how the lecturers are on the illustration course, then send them an email, sometimes they may set it as a course piece with you able to pick the art you like, hope this helps mate

      Delete
  5. Boy, I'm am right there with you on the frustration part of having zero hobby time - it's more than halfway through the year and I feel like I've done absolutely nothing worthwhile.
    My son is enrolled in the architecture program at his university, but they share the same building with all the art and design students - I'll ask him if he knows anyone who may be interested in possibly helping, though he won't be back to school for another two months :(

    ReplyDelete
  6. The time available for gaming always goes up and down. Keep the spirit.

    ReplyDelete
  7. The game looked good At Broadside. But I know the feeling. AHH frustration. I know it has already been mentioned but art schools may be the solution. Especially if you offer the students something in return. Instead of the full whack you might say I have a budget of £50 and ask if any students are interested. The money to be spent on books or art matetials to cover there expenses. I know you said you have No budget but it's an idea. OR what about "Croudfunding!" maybe you have your own Kick starter Just of the top of my head. In my opinion this is what kickstarters should be for and not big companies looking to start a no risk pre-release!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Clint, as I say no real budget to speak of having used all available funds and the last of missus Gobbo’s forbearance to get to this point.

      I’m trying to reserve the KS idea until after I move forward with the project, after PnP and when I’m thinking of a full board/3d version.

      Delete
  8. Real life is a bugger some times!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I know the feeling I have done very little this month tbh. I have done a bit this week.

    ReplyDelete