Wednesday 7 November 2018

Tail Feathers - part 3

Hi all

I sadly missed Zombtober this year due to, yes you guessed it, my real life work pressures plus a much needed two week break in the sun.  However this weekend I will be hosting a huge zombie participation game at Uncon 4.0, the Unconventional Convention - a weekend filled to the rafters with board games, war games, VR, RPGs and many more.  I'll post pics next week!

Onto my continued adoration of the game - Tail Feathers. So far I've shown you the flying units for this fantastic little game.  Now to move onto the ground troops. 

While not individually as powerful as their avian allies, ground troops are definitely game winners and get to perform "missions".  This mechanic of the game makes the "infantry" an integral part of your force.

Firstly for the Downwood Militia.  In the Tail Feathers box you get, for the "good guys", the Oakguard. This unit of mouse rangers are excellent archers and nimble as you like if a little fragile in melee.





I painted their armour in reds and yellows to match that of the rest of the militia and finished them with a fairly standard green cloak.

Next up is the Vermin Raiders.  From the core box set you get Snag's Commandos, a bunch of tough Rat Warriors armed with crossbows.  These crack troops were painted up in the green and grey/blues that I used in the flying troops to give a sense of cohesion.  I was tempted to go with blacks and greys but I think these look really nice.




You also get a Rat Hero - Staborah.  Staborah is the daughter of Snag, the Rat General and is very much an assassin/saboteur type model.  Heroes are more powerful archtypes and can operate on their own.  Staborah is in the obligatory dark colours to represent her shady abilities.




Another nice quality of Tail Feathers is that it is fully compatible with the RPG Mice & Mystics and the box comes with cards so that the miniatures from M&M can supplement Tail Feathers.  For the Downwood Militia it means being able to recruit Prince Colin and friends.



And for the Vemin Raiders, you can use the creatures such as the spider, centipede and other critters.





My only gripe about this game so far is the distinct lack of expansions!  I would love to see bats, sparrows, robins and other avian creatures as well as more types of ground troops.  Other factions would also be awesome!

Lastly the obligatory group shots

Prince Colin, Zure and the Downwood Militia

General Snag and the Vermin Raiders

next time I will review the game as I've now managed to get a couple of games.
hope you enjoy
dGG

21 comments:

  1. Great looking models Andy, hope you have a great weekend at Uncon. Shame they don't have expansions like you say, perhaps you should send them the suggestion.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I’m actually chatting to the designer on Facebook and he would love to more with the game

      Delete
  2. I could use the spiders for Shadows Deep the new Joe McC game. As always a nicely painted selection, not my thing and not to be shown to avaricious grandchildren.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No worries Phil, not for everyone but the critters would fit nicely in other systems

      Delete
  3. You have certainly done these delightful figures proud, Andy. If you wanted more variety to your troops you could always check out the "Bunnies and Burrows" range.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Bryan, for ground troops sure but the flying creatures are all on special flight stands which I will cover in my review

      Delete
  4. Those look really cool.
    Really nice paint jobs.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Well, those are all extremely nice :-) . I notice that the mice rangers are all identical colours, whilst the rat troopers are varied. Is there any meaning behind this?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Not really C6, although rats certainly have more variation in their colouring

      Delete
  6. Really cute miniatures and your painting has just lifted them to an even higher level!

    Still don't want to buy it though, whatever my wife says! :-)

    Cheers Roger.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Nice work mate they all look grand!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Despite your beautiful pain jobs on them all, I still can't 'get' the mice v rats thing !

    ReplyDelete
  9. You have made a fine job of painting them. To get your shading are you doing a dark colour and then a light one on top. I can see that with some of the figures but things like the back packs on the mice look very much like oil paint put on thickly and then wiped off to get the graduation?
    Very good whatever you're doing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes your standard shading technique for me John I’m afraid

      Delete
  10. Solid work Andy. Both teams have character and are vibrant enough to stand out on the tabletop. Looking forward to your write up on the game itself.

    ReplyDelete