Wednesday 10 January 2018

Urban Project - The Supermarket completed

Hi all

As the title of the post suggests, I've completed the supermarket that I have been building for my Urban Project.  Last time I posted about it, this was the extent of the build - a shell ready to be populated.


I also put together the shelves for my display counter.


So what have I done since? well for starters I put together the rest of the display counter.  Using blu-foam and coffee stirrers...




The finished, painted article is further on in this post.  For more detail on the shop floor, I also wanted to add some fresh produce so I built a wooden crate.


lined it with purple painted kitchen towel


and filled it with these....


to produce this...


which, again will show up later fully painted.  I also wanted to put up a low, decorative wall around the parking area of the market.  To this end I made some posts out of blu-foam (naturally) and added some beads to give a nice finish.


more bits and bobs followed including a rather crooked ladder from cocktail sticks...


and the flat roof that would cap the piece.


I also wanted to fence of the unloading yard and to that end purchased some mesh from Wicks for a couple of quid, some bending, cutting and swearing later, I managed to get some lengths of fencing made up, which I drybrushed with some rust effect...


more bits and bobs were made up while I waited for things to dry - here are some road signs made from signs printed from the internet onto photo paper and backed onto cereal box card, then mounted on a cocktail stick on a 20mm base.


All I did then was put everything together.  The roof was covered in homemade textured paint and capped with a sign that I printed from t'internet. I also printed off loads of advertising signage - supermarkets are a riot of colour and crap product adverts!


The parking lot got its bays whitelined and signs posted. added to which are my 3D printed trolleys.




The yard benefitted from some gas bottles from Wargames Terrain Workshop and some signage


as well as some homemade wheelie bins


The warehouse got some boxes that I'd sculpted as well as vending machines from Wargames Terrain Workshop and of course last weeks safe!


here are the shelves fully loaded with handy supplies for the survivors....


and the produce crate and some sacks of spuds on a pallet


the checkouts are at the far end of the store....


That's it for now as some of the piece is still drying/gluing.  I will, as promised show the whole board next week, fully laid out complete with zeds.

hope you enjoy
dGG

26 comments:

  1. As colourful as it is undoubtedly clever. What a corking build, Andy. That is quite the modern-day layout you're putting together; one which is absolutely packed full of lovely details and should be a hoot to game on.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I’m play testing tonight Simon, so I’m hoping the testers love it!

      Delete
    2. This comment has been removed by the author.

      Delete
  2. Stunning work mate, all the extra detail just adds to the piece. I see your game is right next to mine at PAW so I should get plenty of time to have a good look at the board

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That’s great news Dave, look forward to leaving my daughter in charge of mine and playing some DM!

      Delete
    2. No problem mate, happy to run you through as many games as you want

      Delete
  3. A wonderful piece of scenery that shows off your kit building and conversion expertise to perfection. Well done, Andy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad you like it Bryan, will show off the whole board next week!

      Delete
  4. Those apples are huge - clearly mutated by whatever caused the Zpocalypse.

    Nice work mate :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah I find it really difficult to scale down my terrain, mostly I’m sure because of my fat fingers! We’ll just put it down to the zomb virus then - lovely 😊

      Delete
  5. Absolutely blooming well brilliant. I'm only sorry that I won't be at the show to see it :(

    ReplyDelete
  6. Fantastic job Andy! :-) Brilliant addition to the collection that once again oozes detail and character!
    I'm sure that everyone who's lucky enough to play on these boards will have a REALLY memorable experience, and I reckon you'll do wonders "spreading the word" about zombpoc gaming to the masses, and pick up some "converts".
    Well done mate!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers Greg and I’ve got to thank you again for the rules you sent me, I’ll be play testing them tonight. 😉

      Delete
  7. That looks brilliant - looks so natural in the landscape - and on a separate note, I need those trolleys!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Mike. The trolleys are from Shapeways, a 3d printing firm

      Delete
  8. WOW - there's an awful lot going on here, extremely well done, I know it's one of the simple bits but I like the pavement a lot. The hand prints on the yellow car are fun and the shelves and produce just set everything off.
    Look forward to seeing the full table.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Vagabond, the simple bits are often the most eye catching imho. Nex5 week will be th3 big reveal, although having played on it last night, the photos don’t really capture the experience

      Delete
  9. Really fantastic piece of work there Andy. That will be a real joy to game on.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers Rod, it’s a lot of fun that’s for sure 😉

      Delete
  10. Great build finally coming together, I love all the detail you've managed to cram into such a relatively small area too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Joe, it’s the details that I love adding as you know ;-)

      Delete
  11. My, you've been busy Andy. A lovely addituon to your set up, with rhe attention to detail we've come to expect from you. Almost looks real, which is a tribute to your skills. Any special offers on 'cold meats'? Lol

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The only cold meat on offer is the undead kind, wandering the aisles I’m afraid Jez 😉

      Delete
  12. Superb details! You've certainly added that air of realism with all the attention to detail. Keep up the good work!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Simon, one more post on the building of the board to go!

      Delete