Wednesday 3 January 2018

Safe bruv, safe....

oh dear sorry for the old school street lingo...

Hi all

Happy New Year to you all. I hope that your Christmas period was as relaxed as you would like and filled with the joys of our shared hobby.

I was going to do a loot post from my double whammy - i.e xmas and my birthday which is just after.  However I think I'll just show the minis and games that my awesome family gifted me over the course of the year as and when I showcase them here.  Suffice to say, I'm both blessed and humbled by my family's generosity.

Sadly, I've been a bit poorly over the holiday period, with a damned chest infection marring the precious few days I had with my family.  But I did manage to persuade them to gather around the breakfast bar and participate in a board game or two including one of my Christmas gifts - "Escape From Colditz". I've been wanting this game since, well forever!  Thankfully it lived up to my expectations and is thoroughly enjoyable to play and I can see me getting a lot of games this year!





On the Urban Project front, I've been busy making detail pieces for my supermarket and I started making a safe to hold the takings.  I uhmmed and ahhed as to whether to make it relatively simple i.e. a box shape with a dial, but I decided to stretch myself a bit and make an open safe.  Not only would it fit my current project but also many other settings such as Pulp and 7TV2e.

For the build, I reached for my 1cm blue foam and cutting a small square and hollowed it out.  I then used 6mm blue foam door cutting it to the same sized square. I then used a cocktail stick to represent a hinge and glued the whole lot to a 40 mm square mdf base.


on the door I glued a small circle from the top of a coffee stirrer and then a slightly smaller mdf piece that came from one of the TT Combat mdf terrain packs made up the rest of the dial.  I then cut a piece of cocktail stick and made up a handle.


I then cut up some foam to make some cash and some cocktail stick to represent coins.


painted up it looks like this...



Finally here is the finished piece (with the varnish still drying...) with a plastic Bushido ninja for scale.


The rest of the piece is progressing well and should be finished over the next week, which just leaves the last corner of the board to finish.

hope you enjoy
dGG

22 comments:

  1. Happy New Year, Andy, and I look forward to seeing all the great stuff you'll be coming up with over the next twelve months. Great work on the safe, and a nice objective/scenic piece :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Happy new year, Andy, and happy birthday too!

    Very nice safe - well executed and a useful addition to your board. Hmmm, now THAT would make a good movie - a bunch of cockney gangsters trying to perform a heist during a zombie apocalypse...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hahahaha what a terrific idea mate, definitely worth doing I think! Although currency would be pretty pointless in the zed apoc, but it sure would be fun to play

      Delete
  3. All the best for 2018, Andy. Seeing "Escape From Colditz" again brings back so many happy memories for me. My brother and I used to play it a lot when it was first released. A great old school game.

    The safe has turned out very well indeed. Another inspired piece of scenery making.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Bryan 😊 yup Colditz was a really cool game, I can’t wait to try my hand at escaping (I was the security officer)

      Delete
  4. Glad your on the mend mate, and you had some enjoyable gaming over the festivities, the safe looks excellent Andy, here's to a great 2018

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers Dave, hopefully 2018 will be full of games!

      Delete
  5. Damn, I`m really sorry to hear about the chest infection, I`m right in the middle of one here myself :-( (fortunately I developed mine on the 29th so got through all of Christmas first).

    I absolutely love this post, and that safe is like - WOW!!! The boardgame looks very frickin` cool, I have had my eye on "Escape From Colditz" (and any other Colditz game for that matter) for yonks. I`m looking forward to cracking open my new Game of Thrones Monopoly. I HATE Monopoly, but this new version looks soooo darn cool I have to admit hahaha.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah they’re a bugger, just can’t shift the cough now. Must be worse for you though Steve so I can’t complain too much. GoT Monopoly would be the ONLY edition I would play! 😉

      Delete
  6. HNY dGG! Pleased to see that despite your shifts you've managed to find time for the hobby.

    I have the original Escape from Colditz and was delighted to see it re=released - it's a great game imo
    Love the safe too even though I was a bit dubious at first the finished piece looks great!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The re-release is terrific Joe and includes both the original rules and a “tidied” up version. I’m looking forward to playing them both!

      Delete
  7. Hope you're feeling better mate. Happy New Year and all that.

    That safe is a nifty bit of creativity!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great idea for a scenic item / terrain objective, very cleverly modelled and nicely painted and detailed to finish! I'd say it's a successful "safe job" Andy, and get well soon mate :-)
    TIP: if you're the French when you play Colditz, don't put all your Basques in one exit ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Happy New Year dGG! Hope you are feeling better. Glad to see you got some board-gaming in with the family. The save looks sweet.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Escape from Colditz BRILLIANT.(Still have my 1st edition .... now a bit tatty, it's quite old you know!)

    The safe also looks good. Well worth the effort in making it I should add.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is a great game, thankfully the fam thinks so too - I see more games in my future!

      Delete
  11. Happy New Year mate! Great job on the safe it looks really effective! Glad to hear your on the mend.

    ReplyDelete