Wednesday 13 December 2017

Urban Project - the supermarket WiP 1

Hi all

Onto the next part of my project and one that I'm hoping will add a lot of character and playability to the setup.  As the title of the post states, the next build will be a supermarket.

Not a great deal has been done on the structure of the market but I have been putting together some of the detail which will (I hope) enhance the piece.  First of all though I need to know rough dimensions, so I cut a base out of blue foam.  As you can see its a pretty big chunk of the board, roughly 2'x2' in an "L" shape.


Onto some of the detail then. Firstly I made a set of shelving contents carved from blue foam and made a mould from Blue Stuff.  I then replicated the piece 8 times out of Das



Which I then painted up


I then made some wheelie bins.


As well as some pallets for the warehouse section.  These were made out of coffee stirrers and some mdf pieces roughly the size of matchsticks.


I then moulded the boxes that will make up the boxed goods for the warehouse.


The one thing I didn't have a clue how to make were shopping trolleys.  Given time I could pobably figure something out but that is a luxury I don't have. So I hit t'internet and procured these.


From a 3D printing company that does for Architects.  Painted they look pretty darn good and scale well with 28mm minis.


and thats as far as I have got this week.  

hope you enjoy
dGG

29 comments:

  1. You're off to a great start, Andy. I'm sure this will be every bit as impressive as your other builds.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cracking start buddy, and I reckon it's not only going to look great, but really add some "interesting" situations when it comes to gaming :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Greg, that’s what I’m hoping for!

      Delete
  3. Great start; you seem to have a plan too! I wished I'd had one when I made my supermarket, but I based it on a couple of supermarkets near me.
    Those shopping trolleys are absolutely wonderful - I never managed to find anything similar in my searches, save for a full one for a wasteland adventure - very jealous of yours.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes I have a plan, hope I can stick to it Joe! The trolleys are a great find. I saw the ones you were talking about and obviously they just weren’t suitable

      Delete
  4. Been a bit lax on the comments front of late, Andy, for which I apologise. A very nice start and those shopping trolleys are a great find. Could you orovide a link to the company that does them, as i'm sure there are ither goodies on there that may be of use.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No worries my man

      https://www.shapeways.com/product/T49ZM9J2P/miniature-shopping-trolley-heroic-scale?productConfiguration=57442416&etId=170481778&utm_source=automated-contact&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=order-shipped&utm_content=5

      They’re a bit pricey but I haven’t found anything even remotely better

      Delete
  5. Cracking start Andy, but those shopping trolleys are such a great find!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Brilliant work so far dGG!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I`m very curious to see this latest project come together, very nice start Andy :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers Steve, I’ve high hopes for this piece

      Delete
  8. Black Friday in zombie apocalypse... you made it!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Well this is coming along nicely :-) . I love the produce shelves and the pallets. I'll have to investigate supermarket trolleys as well, just to see...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks C6. They are a bit pricey but a nice little model

      Delete
  10. Marvellous stuff once again, Andy. Every time you post you seem to show more and more ways of being creative without the need to splurge on expensive resin pieces of street furniture etc. Keep it coming - its awesome stuff to follow :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad you’re enjoying the build mate 😉

      Delete
  11. Brilliant start. Those trolleys turned out great!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Off to a good start on the supermarket dGG. :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Great start Andy, will you be doing some shelves with only scattered remnants or is the contagion fresh ?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. cheers Dave, the shelves will have removable goods that can be replaced by half cleared shelves or left empty depending on the scenario but for the time being its just the full ones built

      Delete
    2. That's a great idea mate, means you can cover multiple time periods within your campaign and scenarios, so when do you start the shopping mall ? Just kidding

      Delete
    3. thats the idea mate, don't tempt me. So many thoughts going around my head for this game!

      Delete
  14. Fantastic. I love how you hand make almost everything out of the blue foam. You are like a bright light on the hill, showing us the way.

    ReplyDelete